MaKami College is the largest massage therapy school in Alberta offering the highest level of instructional training available in Massage Therapy.
The primary responsibilities of a Learning Assistant (LA) are to support student learning by providing assistance within three areas of the Student Services classroom, field trips and in the Student Success Centre.
Major Accountabilities/Responsibilities(Including but not limited to the following):
- Assist with preparing for lessons by getting materials ready or setting up equipment
- Copying of instructional materials, assignments, exams, etc.
- Ensuring that the classroom environment is positive and pleasant, without the distraction of disorder and mess (i.e. cleanliness of the room, lighting appropriate, etc.)
- Support individual students during class time to ensure understanding of key concepts and course requirements (i.e. assignments)
- Observes students developmental issues and communicates findings to lead instructors
- Participate as a supervisor for field trips and events outside of the classroom
- Provide tutoring services to students in areas of expertise
- Distribute teaching materials to students during class time such as textbooks, workbooks, and papers
- Distribute tests and homework assignments, and collect them when they are completed
- Mark tests and assignments as directed by the Lead Instructor
- Enforce administration policies and rules governing students
- Reinforce lessons presented by Instructors by reviewing material with students one-on-one or in small groups
- Assist with laundry duties (washing/drying) to ensure linen supplies available for students as required
Experience and Education
- Registered Massage Therapist
- Previous teaching or learning assistant experience
- Good listening skills and is approachable
- Able to work with students with different abilities and backgrounds and demonstrate patience when dealing with students who struggle with material.
- Familiar with classroom routines
- Able to manage difficult behaviour’s
- Composure, tact, and maturity in dealing with conflict
We offer a competitive compensation package, fun work environment and opportunity to grow your career in a post-secondary institution that not only cares about its students but also takes great care of its employees.